The Kwara State Revenue Administration Law, 2015 (Law No.6 of 2015) assigned on the 22nd of June, 2015 established and guides activities of Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS) and the law is accessible on the website of Service.
• KW-IRS as an agency of the Kwara State Government and the only entity as established by law with obligation of tax administration and collection of every internally generated revenue in the State on behalf of the government.
• Establishment of KW-IRS is as required of every State of the federation and as expected of modern day civilization, in order to achieve improved revenue drive to aid infrastructural and social development of the State.
• KW-IRS like every other MDAs of the State belongs to the State government regardless of government in power.
• Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS) has the responsibility of monitoring and reconciling all revenue lines from institutions and agencies of government through its staff working with the various MDAs and meeting with relevant stakeholders in the drive and collection of revenue for the State.
• KW-IRS ensures accountability and transparency in revenue collection process and projects activities of the government, achievable through the collection of taxes.
• KW-IRS is committed to blocking revenue leakages and collaborates with MDAs and stakeholders to ensure optimal collections for an improved IGR for the State.
• Taxes are not negotiable. However, taxpayers possess the right to objection. Grounds of objection and information available to KW-IRS determine if an assessment could be reviewed downward or upward.
• IGR position of the State and every information about revenue activities of KW-IRS can be accessed on its website (www.kw-irs.com).
• Kwara State realized an IGR of N10.7Billion in Quarter 1 of the year 2022, the figure that surpassed Quarter 1 2021 IGR collections of N9.6billion by 11.5%.
•All revenue collected by KW-IRS on behalf of the State government are used to achieve government’s developmental objectives.
• Revenue refers to all sources and forms of income such as tax, levies, fines as available for collection for government while Tax is only a form out of numerous other sources of revenue generated for the government.
• Computation of a taxpayer’s Personal Income Tax (PIT) is based on several factors (income, location, size of business, etc.). Personal Income Tax is not fixed; but based on some factors and indices.
• Presumptive tax is used to decide tax payable by persons in the informal sector due to improper record keeping of their income.
• Payment of minimum tax by members of recognized associations and unions within the Informal Sector of the State is to bring all members in this sector into the tax net. Proper assessment is usually done per taxpayer as the need arises.
• Business owners are obligated to pay Personal Income Tax (PIT) on themselves and remit PAYE for staff under their employment.
• Every resident of the State with one source of income or another is liable to pay tax as provided for by the law. Payment of tax is not limited to registration of business under the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), whether a business is registered with CAC or not, payment of tax on income is compulsory.
• Taxpayers are to transact directly with the official revenue officers at the various KW-IRS offices and payment points spread across the State and ensure all payments are receipted accordingly.
• All revenue payments are to be made into the Kwara State Government IGR Accounts through the online payment platforms provided by the State. That is REMITA, QUICKTELLER, PAYARENA and others to be communicated in due course.
• All correspondences for Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS) are to be addressed as and only to the Executive Chairman, KW-IRS, 27, Ahmadu Bello Way, G.R.A, Ilorin, Kwara State for required attention.
• KW-IRS COMMUNICATION CHANNELS:
Customer Care line: 07006959477
Visit the Corporate Head Office on 27, Ahmadu Bello way, GRA, Ilorin OR any KW-IRS office within Ilorin and across all Local Government Areas of the State.
Corporate Affairs Department, KW-IRS