OUR CORE MANDATE REMAINS REVENUE GENERATION: NO TO ANY DISTRACTION
1. The Management of Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS) has expressed its disappointment in the Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria (ASCSN), KW-IRS chapter over its protest to the Government House, on Tuesday, 11th October 2022 on the issue of already concluded salary review.
2. This is very surprising to know, as the communication of salary increment to staff was first made clear during the third quarter of 2022 virtual field feedback meeting and training of the Service, held on Friday, 7th October 2022, which was believed well understood by all.
3. The salary increment, as approved by His Excellency, Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq and communicated earlier to the leadership of the Union and all staff is expected to take effect from this month, October 2022.
4. At the same meeting of Friday, 7th October 2022, it was further addressed that the salary increment for senior cadre is being planned and would be communicated in due course.
5. It is clear that the protest to Government House was politically motivated and designed to destabilize the peace of the State and operations of the Service for sinister reasons, in spite all major achievements of the Service these past years.
6. This is particularly glaring, given the series of recent positive actions of the Management in the area of staff. For the avoidance of doubt, Management has just implemented payment of bonuses, promotions, and step upgrades of staff (almost double the usual number at 39.7 % promotion and 25 % step upgrade).
7. In addition to the above is the latest salary increment for junior staff which covers not less than 91% of the workforce. The increment, indeed, puts a new entrant on the Revenue Trainee grade in KW-IRS at the equivalent salary of a Level 10 officer in the Civil Service of the State, even without bonuses considered and Level 12 officer with bonuses considered.
8. The Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria (ASCSN), KW-IRS chapter, however, demands to have new entrant on the Revenue Trainee grade in KW-IRS at the equivalent salary of a Level 14 officer in the Civil Service of the State.
9. Considering nipping all arising issues as they relate to staff in the bud, therefore, the leadership of the Labour Union at both the National and State levels visited the Revenue House in Ilorin and had an over 5hours meeting with the Management of KW-IRS on Tuesday, 11th October, 2022 in the presence of the executive members of the Trade Union of KW-IRS chapter and a memorandum of understanding was signed by all parties involved with a resolution to drop all plans on the proposed protest on salary increment, but surprisingly, this was never yielded to by the ASCSN, KW-IRS chapter.
10. The question in the mind of any progressive individual would be to know what the agitation and demand by Staff are meant to achieve? Management in the past 3years has continued to do its lawful duty and ensure it deals with all staff matters fairly, not excluding the over 200 staff employed at the tail end of the last administration of which the majority seem not ready to imbibe the corporate and target driven set up orientation.
11. Making Staff welfare paramount through activation of more welfare plans such as enrolment of staff into the National Housing Fund (NHF) Scheme, sponsoring of the Kwara Health Insurance (KW-HIA) Scheme for staff, adequate recognition and compensation of hard work, among several others has always been key to the Management.
12. The protest is tantamount to embarrassing the State, attacking the character of the Executive Chairman, causing instability in the Service, smirks of a dangerous political gimmick to destabilize the system, and discredit the government for no credible reasons.
13. The Management therefore, make bold to state categorically, that, any action capable of disrupting the lawful activity and peace of the State and Service shall be adequately dealt with, as all matters that relate to staff welfare have been given utmost priority and favourable consideration by the Management and the government which is among the best in the country.
14. All staff of Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS) are by this press statement informed that any deviation from their official duties shall be viewed as gross misconduct and economic sabotage with grave implications on their terms of employment.
Head, Corporate Affairs, KW-IRS