As part of efforts to ensure continuous advocacy and education of the general public on tax related matters, and on the core mandate of the Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS), the KW-IRS has commenced its 2022 Quarter 2 radio tax advocacy program, tagged “My Tax and I”.
All episodes for the quarter will feature top Management and staff of KW-IRS giving enlightenment on tax matters and activities of KW-IRS as an agency of government.
The highlights of EPISODE ONE of the radio tax advocacy program aired on Midland 99.1FM and Diamond 88.7FM:
Did you know?
• Payment of tax is compulsory for all income earners in Kwara State to assist government to run effectively and carry out its basic responsibility to its citizens. Such responsibilities of government include payment of salaries, provision of social amenities, etc.
• It is important for all Kwarans and residents of Kwara to always think of what they can contribute to make Kwara State a place of their dreams.
• Government of Kwara State holds budget session at various senatorial districts of the State to take need gaps of every part of the State to determine the annual budget for presentation and approval.
• Benefits of taxes come steadily to all citizens and not at once.
• Kwara State government continues to work to ensure the impacts and benefits of tax payment are felt by citizens.
• Taxes for Kwara State can be paid using any of the online payment platforms provided and approved by the State, i.e. Quickteller, PayArena and Remita. Taxpayers could also visit any KW-IRS office within Ilorin or its Area offices across the State or call KW-IRS customer care line 07006959477, for assistance on any form of payments.
• Personal Income Tax is a direct tax charged on the income of a person.
• Withholding Tax is deducted at source whereby the authorized person making the payment serve as an agent of collection and in turn remit the amount deducted to the relevant tax authority.
• Road Taxes are paid on vehicles and by vehicle users.
• Taxes are peculiar to the formal and informal sectors.
• Pay-As-You-Earn is paid by organizations, while Personal Income Tax is paid by individual in accordance with their net worth.
• Taxpayers have obligations to pay taxes to Federal, State and LGA as applicable to the business they engage in.
• Payment of taxes by an individual could be multiple, such as Income Tax, Land Charge, Tenement rate, signage, business premises, setbacks, etc. because these are different revenue lines as applicable to what an individual does or owns.
• Multiple taxation entails payment of many taxes based on the various streams of income and tax liability of a taxpayer, while Double taxation is paying tax on the same income to different revenue authorities.
• Land charge is paid on ownership of land, while tenement rate is paid on the use of land.
• The amount of land charge to be paid depends on the location of the land, its size etc.
• Tenement rate, Radio license, Signage and Advertisement Fees and Citizenship Certificate fee are revenues collected by KW-IRS on behalf of the Local Government as jointly agreed. All revenues collected by KW-IRS on behalf of the Local Government are duly accounted for and remitted to them.
• All revenues collected by KW-IRS are remitted into the Kwara State IGR Accounts, of which the Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS) has no access to.
• For convenience, taxes can be paid in instalment within the assessment year or as allowed by the revenue agency. Likewise, tax due on individual or organizations can also be paid at once.
• In Kwara State, to save taxpayers from interface with different revenue officers, the Harmonized Bill System is in place, whereby taxpayers enjoy being served the Harmonized bill with all taxes/revenue accruable on the assessment raised for an individual and/or corporate bodies are seen at a glance and paid as appropriate.
• KW-IRS through its reforms has activated SMS alert of all remittances received into the State IGR accounts. Employees are encouraged to follow up on their employers to ensure inclusion of their active phone numbers in the salary schedule and submission to KW-IRS to enable the Service send alerts of PAYE remitted on their behalf.
• KW-IRS continues to charge taxpayers to transact directly with its official revenue officers at the various KW-IRS offices and touch points situated across the State and ensure all payments are receipted accordingly.
• All correspondences for Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS) are to be addressed as and only to the Executive Chairman, KW-IRS, 27, Ahmadu Bello Way, G.R.A, Ilorin, Kwara State for required attention.
• The Corporate Head Office of KW-IRS is on number 27, Ahmadu Bello way, GRA, Ilorin, Kwara State.
• Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS) has physical offices in Local Government Areas across the State.
• You can carry out all tax related transactions on our Self Service Portal via selfservice.kwirs.com.
Corporate Affairs Department, KW-IRS