Since the outbreak of the Coronavirus Pandemic which is on a high increase across the world, the Kwara State Internal Revenue has taken several measures to safeguard the lives of its Staff, ease the burden on taxpayers, and ensure business continuity in line with best practice as an ISO Certified organization.
In addition, Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS) has implemented the following measures in a bid to ease the negative impacts of COVID-19 on the taxpayers, ensure business continuity, as well as curtail the spread of the virus within its offices:
Below are the following measures taken by the Service to cushion the negative effect; Implementation of Tax Relief, Incentives and Measures to mitigate the impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Taxpayers and Business Continuity.
- Donation of palliative to the Informal Sector to cushion the effect of COVID-19 on their businesses.
- Extension of the deadline for filing Annual Returns from 31st of March to 31st of May, 2020 and a further extension to the 30th of September, 2020.
- 30% discount/waiver on arrears of ground rent and land charge for property owners and land occupiers from the period of the outbreak in Nigeria to the 30th of September, 2020.
- Granting of moratorium to informal sector taxpayers to enable them recover from the financial stress caused by COVID-19 during the lockdown
- Suspension of all enforcement activities on tax defaulters in Informal Sector, Educational Sector, Hospitality Sector, Low Income Earners and Property owners.
- Waiver of interest and penalty for High Net worth Individuals (HNIs) and Corporate Organizations that pays up their tax arrears by 30th of September, 2020.
- Implementation of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) in the process of tax recovery under the guidance of Covid-19 safety measures
- Deployment of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and hand sanitizers to our Offices as well as distribution of face mask to taxpayers and staff
- Introduction of Virtual meetings for KW-IRS Management Team and different Committees.
- Encouragement of taxpayers to make payments to the Kwara State IGR Accounts via PAYDIRECT at any of the local commercial banks.
These measures are in response to the reality that the entire world is going through a tough time and there is need for everyone to adjust to this new situation and abide by the safety guidelines as provided by the State Government.