The attention of the Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KW-IRS) is drawn to an unfounded and fallacious article published by an online platform, nairaland, in which the publisher was without any credible proof accused of “packaging” public funds for a sibling of Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq.
The claim is false, malicious, baseless, and mischievous. It is a desperate attempt to dampen the rising public confidence in the ongoing reforms of the KW-IRS, the improved, yet humane revenue drive of the State, blockage of waste through e-payment platforms, and the glaring spike in how taxpayers’ money is going into execution of public projects and programmes that benefit every segment of the society.
We at the KW-IRS owe the duty of transparency and accountability to our esteemed taxpayers and the general public.
We therefore reiterate that:
• KWIRS reports all collections made and has no access to the funds like it was in the past. It could therefore not give out what it does not have access to.
• All processes to block revenue leakages and ensure transparency are in place and KW-IRS remains focused in improving same.
• The KW-IRS is aware that no reforms go without challenges and blackmails like the malicious blog post, both internally and externally. The leadership in the State is ready to face it and will continue to do things the right way.
• The KW-IRS is determined to protect its hard-fought brand and the confidence reposed in it by the taxpayers and would leave no stone unturned to unravel whoever is behind this irresponsible act.
• Social media platforms and users need to verify every news item/post before publishing or broadcast.
• The Service is prepared to follow due process in ensuring that anyone involved in producing and or spreading that false and injurious post faces the law.
Once again, KW-IRS remains committed and will not be distracted by acts of sabotage and blackmail while ensuring the right things are done, always.
Executive Chairman, KW-IRS